The inquiry rejected Pell’s evidence given by video link from Rome in 2016 that he was deceived and lied to by Catholic Church officials about Australia’s worst pedophile priest … (Cruxnow.com)
Australian Cardinal George Pell knew a notorious pedophile priest had been moved decades ago because he had sexually abused children, and should have removed an unstable priest in another parish who was also a suspected pedophile, a government inquiry concluded.
“A report from the inquiry on child sexual abuse had been released in 2017, but findings concerning Pope Francis’ former finance minister had been redacted until Thursday to avoid prejudicing juries in any future prosecutions.
“The government decided to release the full report after the High Court last month overturned convictions against Pell on charges he molested two choirboys in a Melbourne cathedral in the late 1990s when he was an archbishop.”
By Rod McGuirk, Cruxnow.com — Read more …
- Cardinal Pell ‘knew of’ clergy abuse, says Australian Royal Commission, By BBC News
- Cardinal knew of clergy abuse, an Australian report finds, By Livia Albeck-Ripka, The New York Times
- Royal commission finds Pell 'conscious' of priests abusing children in early '70s, By Paul Sakkal, The Sydney Morning Herald
- Pell findings show extent of Catholic Church's cover-up, By The Sydney Morning Herald Editorial Board
- Previously redacted reports, By The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse